Allspice (Pimento) Dram2016-08-22
- 1 750ml bottle 151-proof Rum
- ¾ cup whole Allspice Berries
- 15 Cloves
- 1” piece of Cinnamon Stick
- 1 Tbsp. Cacao Nibs
- 1 small Star Anise
- 12 Black Peppercorns
- ½ Nutmeg, cracked
- ½ Vanilla Bean, split
- Simple Syrup (see instructions)
- Add all ingredients to a clean 1-liter jar. Allow to infuse on the countertop for 5 days, swirling a few times per day. After 5 days, strain the liquid through a coffee filter into a 4-cup measuring beaker. Discard the solids. Make note of the volume of infused spirit and add 2x that amount of simple syrup (equal parts sugar and water, stirred until dissolved). Transfer into clean stoppered bottles. Let rest at least 4 hours. Store at room temperature. Yield: just over 2 liters.
Allspice berries are the fruit of the pimento bush (which is why you’ll also see this referred to as Pimento Dram). Allspice dram is used a lot in tiki drinks, but we also feature it in some of our pumpkin cocktails like the Pumpkin Alexander and Pumpkin Flip, and some other cocktails as well. Along with the allspice berries we add other spices – and even cacao nibs – to broaden the flavor profile and add some depth and complexity to the liqueur. If you don’t feel like making your own, use commercially available brands like the St. Elizabeth’s or Bitter Truth drams. Cheers!
VN:D [1.9.22_1171]Allspice (Pimento) Dram, Add to favorites