Crème de Cacao2016-08-24
- 1 750ml bottle 151-proof Vodka
- 1 cup Cacao Nibs
- 1 small Star Anise
- 10 Cloves
- 12 whole Allspice Berries
- 1 Vanilla Bean, halved and split
- Simple Syrup (see instructions)
- Add all ingredients to a clean 1-liter jar. Allow to infuse on the countertop for 5 days, swirling a few times per day. After 5 days, strain the liquid through a fine mesh sieve into a 4-cup measuring beaker. Discard the solids. Make note of the volume of infused spirit and add 1.75x that amount of simple syrup (equal parts sugar and water, stirred until dissolved). Transfer into clean stoppered bottles. Let rest at least 4 hours. Store at room temperature. Yield: just under 2 liters.
Though the perfect thing to sip on its own, this rich and delicious chocolate liqueur is an ingredient in many cocktails that we enjoy making. The high-proof spirit is necessary to most efficiently extract the deep chocolate flavor from the cacao nibs. The additional spices we add are there to give the liqueur depth. As with most homemade liqueurs, this tastes discombobulated immediately after mixing the infused spirit with the simple syrup. Taste is initially, of course, but know that it needs to sit for several hours so that the flavor and sweetness can meld. It will continue to deepen in flavor as it sits in your cocktail cabinet. Enjoy!
VN:F [1.9.22_1171]Crème de Cacao, Add to favorites