Blood Orange Bracer2015-03-15
- 2 cups Sherry (like Lustau East India Solera)
- 1 cup Fresh Blood Orange Juice
- ¼ cup White Grape Juice Concentrate
- 2 Tbsp. Angostura Bitters
- 1 tsp. Cream of Tartar
- Place the sherry in a small sauce pan and, over medium heat, reduce the sherry to ½ the original volume (1cup) – about 15 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in and dissolve the cream of tartar. Allow to cool. Add the juices and bitters. Stir well and transfer to a clean capped bottle. Store in the refrigerator for up to 8 weeks. Shake gently before using. Yields: ~ 2½ cups.
This Blood Orange Bracer was created by Top Note Tonic’s flavor guru, Mary Pellettieri. We were asked to create some cocktails utilizing it for the Apr/May 2015 issue of Alcoholmanac. It has an aggressive, yet well rounded citrus sour and tartness with immediate nutty notes (from the Sherry) which blend with subtle hints of cinnamon and cardamom (from the bitters). It finishes with a delicate sweetness. Check out the delightful Blood Orange Bracer cocktails which feature this concentrate, or mix-up her Blood Orange Bracer Soda:
1 part Blood Orange Bracer
3 parts Seltzer Water
Pour over ice and garnish with a Blood Orange Slice.
VN:F [1.9.22_1171]Blood Orange Bracer, Add to favorites